Local Assistance Scheme
If you have an emergency that means you have no way of getting basic essentials, you may be able to get help from the Local Assistance Scheme.
The scheme can be accessed through the local Citizens Advice in your area on behalf of Somerset County Council and Sedgemoor District Council.
If you think the scheme might be able to help you, you should make contact with your local Citizens Advice.
You will be asked to describe the things you need help with, how you have come to need help, and to provide some evidence that you live in Somerset.
The information that you provide will be shared with Somerset County Council and Sedgemoor District Council.
The Local Assistance Scheme does not provide cash or loans, but it can help you to get basic essentials. For example:
- Essential items of furniture and bedding
- Basic equipment for cooking and heating
- Fuel to cook with or to heat essential rooms
You will also need to meet the following conditions:
- That you are on a low income
- That you do not have enough money to buy what you need
- That you have tried other sources of help first and these have been unable to assist you. For example, a short term benefits advance, budgeting loan, family or friends
- That you apply to the advice bureau in the district of Somerset you live in